YCIS is an international school where Chinese and English are given equal emphasis. While we place importance on students' English ability, we help students master Chinese language skills close to mother tongue level. Students are at least expected to cultivate their interest in Chinese and through learning Chinese, they understand the Chinese culture, read Chinese writing with fluency, enjoy reading and writing, and be proficient in Putonghua.
- Strengthen oral training so that students can fluently express themselves in Putonghua and fully understand Putonghua in class;
- Have basic understanding of various types of writing, writing methods, rhetoric, grammar and punctuations;
- Express precisely and fluently in different types of writing and develop an interest in creation;
- Develop an interest in extracurricular reading and establish reading habits;
- Have basic knowledge of the formation and usage of simplified Chinese characters, and be able to switch between simplified and traditional Chinese;
- Understand simple Literary Chinese;
- Have foundation knowledge of Chinese language and culture, develop respect for the Eastern culture, and broaden horizons by comparing the Eastern and Western cultures.
With reading comprehension as the main teaching method, we develop students' language ability through reading, creative writing, presentations, various activities and extracurricular reading. We teach students in accordance with their aptitude instead of requiring that the reach the same level of proficiency. We recognise the individual differences and uniqueness of students and help them improve their Chinese ability and their interest in Chinese from the starting point.