The overall aims of Physical Education are to help students develop an active lifestyle and acquire good health, physical fitness, and body co-ordination through learning various physical and sport skills and knowledge.
It further helps improve the qualities of desirable moral and social behaviour, ability to make decisions and appreciation of aesthetic movements (Curriculum Development Council of Hong Kong).
The general objectives of the programme are:
- Develop knowledge and skills that promote growth and development, participation in physical activity, fitness, effective relationships, safety and health;
- Encourage an active part in creating environments that support health and participation in physical activity;
- Promote involvement in play, sport, leisure and recreation;
- Promote involvement as a skilled participant in play, games, dance, gymnastics, aquatics, sport, outdoor activities, leisure and recreation;
- Develop knowledge and skills in nutrition and diet;
- Evaluate influences of diverse values, attitudes and beliefs related to health and physical activity.
- Develop positive attitudes and values for the development of an active and healthy lifestyle.