Kindergarten Three's and Four's
YCIS offers international kindergarten programme, also known as nursery programme in Kowloon, Hong Kong. We continually want to encourage child inquisitiveness by ensuring the play-based activities are child-led and consequential. We believe with emergent curiosity comes self-confidence. Our children are absorbed in the YCIS bilingual English/Chinese (Cantonese) learning environment. With our whole day programmes, independence is further explored.
Things to know:
- Whole day programme, from 8.30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- 5 sessions per week
- Two highly qualified early years co-teaching staff per class
- Teacher: child ratio is 1:12
- A healthy snack and lunch is provided by the School
- The violin programme begins for four year olds
- Our Mandarin teacher visits the classes
- Transition programme for four year olds moving to our Primary section
- Child-led projects steer the children’s interests
- Well-balanced skills set further enhanced
- Parent Workshops and parent evenings are organised
We know the partnership between school and families is vitally important for the child to flourish and develop. We encourage parents to join us at our compulsory ECE Information Session or equivalent private tour with the Head of Admissions. Please see “Visit our School” for dates and communication.
Our classrooms and Co-Teachers allow for an abundance of opportunities daily for children to grow and explore. Children are provided with extended periods of play in order to follow their own interests and curiosities in a safe school setting. The learning environments that our classrooms provide are intentionally prepared to develop knowledge and respond to children’s own interests as they enquire about the world in which they live. ECE children at YCIS produce art, music, and dance, and their own constructions, designs, and movements express their individual, creative, and intellectual thoughts.
Three’s & Four’s: Snapshot of a School Day
- 8.30 a.m.: Children arrive and are greeted by their Co-Teachers. They gain independence and responsibility as they store their belongings and put on their in-class shoes. Students are engaged with exploratory play or outdoor activities.
- 9.45 a.m.: Children enjoy their morning snack provided by the school. Students continue with the range of exploration activities and can visit the outdoor play area.
- Children develop teamwork skills as well as language skills in both English and Chinese as they work with their Co-Teachers.
- 12.00 a.m.: Children have a healthy lunch in the classroom or cafeteria. Students then have a rest or quiet play time.
- 1.30 p.m.: Students have free play time, building socialisation skills and friendships.
- 2 p.m.: Students enjoy a healthy afternoon snack provided by the school.
- Students then continue to join their Co-Teachers and classmates both indoors and outdoors.
- 3.45 p.m.: Students gather their belongings and prepare to return home.